- SmartSave settings:
Show report when finished
User defined format: [YEAR][MONTH][DAY]_[HOUR][MIN][SEC]_[RANDOM] (uses only numebrs- all the predefined formats fail if there is a special character in the subject, name, etc; the file is then missing!)
- move all the messages you want to archive into one IMAP folder
- File > Offline > Get selected files (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/reviews/display/2887) to download all message bodies (smart save will store the messages without warning and without attachments otherwise!).
- Right click folder, “Export messages with smart save”
- Wait… (you can look into the export folder to see the files arriving)
- Check report for number of files, compare with number of files in IMAP folder, and number of files in local Windows folder.
- Delete files from IMAP folder
- Clean up names and dates of e-mails with my script below