Adobe Acrobat

My Toshiba convertible (a notebook, not a car) came with Windows Vista pre-installed. However, I wanted to avoid too much change at the same time (and did not want to spend too much money at one time). So I installed the program versions which I was used to (owned): among others, Acrobat 7.0. Despite a warning on Adobes homepage this works quite well.

One problem with the convertible is that the rotated display is most conveniently used upside-down. There is a utility from Toshiba which rotates the desktop accordingly. This, however changes the order of the sub-pixels from RGB to BGR: something that sup-pixel renderers like ClearType (Microsoft) and CoolType (Adobe) must know. While I found a simple utility for ClearType which does this automatically (Cleartype Rotator), BGR cannot even be manually selected with Cool Type.

The first true problem appeared when Adobe Update Manager tried to update to version 7.1. Unfortunately, it could not write some DLLs. “Permission denied”. I gave Administrator rights to Adobe Update Manager, but this helped nothing. l finally found out that the file was owned by “SYSTEM” , and changed owner to Administrator – did help nothing. However, about 2 weeks later the problem seemed to have disappeared from alone, when the installation was apparently successfull. Unfortunately, after the required reboot there was still the same version of Acrobat installed (from Hilfe:Systeminformation, Help:System info):

Installierte Acrobat-Version: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
Version: 7.0.8.2006051600
Erstellungsdatum: 2008/06/01
Erstellungzeit: 11:20:41

I then tried having the C:\Users\steier\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\7.0\Updater\AcroProUpd710_all_cum.exe (which the update process downloads , runs, and deletes afterwards) running separately as Administrator by copying it to another place, and this gave much more diagnostic output, but the situation afterwards was the same. If I have Acrobat check for new Updates, it still finds the update to 7.1.0.

I found a useful forum at http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b5307e/1

However, maybe I had messed up my installation by changing ownerships too much, I was not able to rename the ActiveX directory (“Permission denied”). I tried some more things, but finally I decided to deinstall Acrobat 7.0, Reader 8.X. Actually, I found the files where I had messed with the permissions afterwards still sitting in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0. I deleted this folder, which was allowed.

Then I reinstalled Acrobat 7.0 from scratch. When I checked for Updates afterwards, only 7.1 was suggested. I do that… all runs as if ok, but the situation is still the same: I still have

Installierte Acrobat-Version: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe
Version: 7.0.8.2006051600
Erstellungsdatum: 2008/06/01
Erstellungzeit: 15:03:21

and the update to 7.1 is still suggested when Check for Updates is called.

Now I wanted to reinstall AdobeReader8.X, and made the download from Adobe: AdbeRdr812_de_DE.exe. However, if I start this file, it asks for Administrator rights, but afterwards does nothing, despite it is still running in task manager (without any open windows).

Finally, I have decided to install Acrobat 8.0. However, also now a message appeared that C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\acropdf.dll cannot be written. Thus, I changed the owner of the ActiveX folder to Administrators and gave full access to everybody. The installation continued successfully.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: